Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Weather check

This is my favorite new weather image I've seen for Puerto Peñasco:

Snow. Yeah. That's not happening. However, today I was startled by a rattling sound, and realized it was the first time I've heard rain on my roof! This week it's supposed to be in the low 20s and rain a little bit. By the weekend it clears up.

Today we are supposed to get our car for sure. Not holding my breath or anything.

On the weekend Carl and I spent quite a lot of time trying to find a cheap laptop for Oswaldo, for his wife. I found a good little refurbished dell laptop for $215 plus shipping :
Model Dell Latitude D600
Processor Genuine Intel Pentium M 1.4 Ghz
Memory 512MB
Hard Drive 20 GB Hard Drive
Monitor 14.1" TFT Active Matrix Display
Graphics Card ATI 9000
Video Memory 32 MB
Optical Drive CD-ROM
Modem 56k V.92 Mini PCI Modem - Just plug into the wall jack!
Network 10/100 - Internet Ready
WiFi Intel Internal Mini PCI WiFi Card
Pointing Device Integrated Track point and Touchpad <>
Sound SIGMATEL 9750 AUDIO
Interfaces 2 - USB, 1 - S-Video, 1 - RJ11, 1 - RJ45, 1 - Parallel, 1 - Serial, 1 - VGA, 1 - Infrared, 1 - Mic, 1 - Speaker/Headphone
Other I/O Ports Docking Port
Operating System Windows XP Professional

fingers crossed, everyone!

Once we get the car, we're taking a drive up to Lukeville to renew our tourist visas. Hopefully tomorrow. And while there, we will be getting a few of the staples: frozen peas, parmesan and feta and cheddar cheeses, pickles.

On the neighbor front, I baked some corn sticks the other day (corn bread in a special pan that makes them look like little corn on the cobs). I added some red chile peppers to make them a little spicy, and Carl and I both liked the testers we had. I put them on a plate covered with a napkin, and pinned a note saying, "Thank you for your kindness" in Spanish, and delivered them next door.

There was only one person there when I delivered them, and here's the strange thing- I haven't heard a thing from them about the cornbread, and nobody has brought the plate back. Theory one- the lady who took the plate took them home for her family. Theory two- they hated them and are being polite. Theory three: the lady who took the plate ate them all and just left the plate, so they think I gave them a plate. Vote now!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your theories; gave me good chuckle.
What a thoughfully, creative, kind gift.
Theory one: Pretty good, but do you know for sure that she doesn't live there.
Theory two: Not bad, but i do not think it is possible that they didn't appreciate it, unless they are emotionally dead.
Theory three: Naw, cause then they s/d've thanked you for the plate.

cuz sharon

Alicia said...

My vote is that they loved the cornsticks (remember, I've tasted your cooking!)and because it is Mexico, they will get around to returning your plate manana (tomorrow?)
Where do you get those wacko weather forecasts?
When is Marysol and Oswaldo's baby due?
Happy almost Turkey Day to my fellow Americans.
luv ya

Mel150 said...

I know those weather forecasts kill me. 27 and snowing, we saw the other day. For those Americans out there, 27 Celsius is 80 F.

Thanks for the Happy Thanksgiving wish! We completely missed Canadian Thanksgiving, as I always do because my main client is in the US and we have work to do! But I usually get a relaxing day or two at American Thanksgiving. There's a $10 turkey dinner at the Black Dog, but Carl and I think we'll skip it- neither of us is all that crazy about turkey, and it will be a zoo.

When is the baby due? hmm.. you would think I would know something like that. This is the answer of a person who doesn't have kids...I think maybe April.

Mel150 said...

And the real answer is the baby isdue Feb 15. How could I know? Marysol is so tiny.

Shirl said...

I have two theories on this from living in Mexico. (1) They figure the plate is also a gift along with the corn sticks (try a nice paper plate the next time) or (2) it won't be returned until it can be filled with something equally as tasty. Very conflicting theories but Mexican traditions are very different than Canadian ones as we found out. Where we were if you had two shovels and they needed one they borrowed one of yours, after all you could only use one at a time, and if you needed the other you could borrow it back.

Mel150 said...

Thanks for the insight, Shirl!