Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tortas and nachos

Just a quick update- on Sunday, a young man came by and told me in perfect English that he and his wife were selling meals to raise money to take her to Hermosillo to see a doctor. It was 40 pesos a meal, so I ordered two and gave him 100 pesos.

Later that afternoon, he delivered two plates each with a delicious pork sandwich on a huge bun, fries and a salad. We put the supper we had planned away in the fridge and dug in.

The next day, the lady next door gave me an invitation with an envelope attached to it, inviting me to her place for a "cafe". Today! She made it very clear. So over I went, with 50 pesos in my envelope, and found out it was a fund-raiser for the same couple. Isn't it great how the community supports one another? And we feel a part of it now.

I had some...not sure what they are called, but they look like little pieces of pasta and they throw them in hot oil until they puff up, then pour a delicious hot sauce over them.

I didn't stay for nachos, I had work to do, but I was once again enveloped in the warmth of that family, who I think must be community leaders, largely due to grandma. She also told me (she speaks Spanish slowly and repeats herself, I listen closely and we seem to communicate) that she has a friend coming who speaks English very well, and she seemed to be saying that we'd be having a long chat then. I hope so, I like her.

Just back from our daily swim. Every fifth round I do the dogpaddle in honour of Shadow. It's really good for the upper arms. I want to tell him that if we use our back legs, it actually slows us down, but he won't listen, he's such a know-it-all.

Thats all, back to work now. :)

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Awww - that's a nice story about the community supporting one another. I'm looking forward to the update where you meet grandma's English speaking friend and can have a real conversation with her.

Mel150 said...

Me, too!! Anything you want me to ask her? ;)

Cheryl said...

Her name!