Friday, July 31, 2009

Cooler Weather and Poker

Carl's been having his morning swim in the ocean the last few days, floating with his back to the beach, contemplating his toes and the horizon and watching the pelicans fish. Tomorrow I'll join him. I've been sticking to the pool for weekdays, because it's easier for me to keep to a workout schedule there. Driving home this morning, we saw a horse and rider coming down the street. I'll never get tired of that. It's so cool that after leaving Alberta, we ended up in the beef capital of Mexico, complete with cowboys (vaqueros).

Busy day for a 'day off'. Shadow and Carl's swim at 7:30, then my swim, a haircut, wash the car, go to the new butcher shop (got two filet mignons, two ribeyes and a bunch of pork ribs). This shop is great, the gentleman speaks English and it's inexpensive- all that for 248 pesos. Broken down, that's 90 for the filets($7.50), 84 for the ribeyes($6.87) and 74($6) for the ribs. He only asks, "how thick?" If they are good, then we've found our butcher. After only a year.

Work for a couple of hours, then off to the Burrito Express mail guys, stopping on the way at a Ferriteria to buy a gate latch and some drawer pulls. Got lucky and got both at one place.

Home and install the gate latch- ended up driving a longer screw into the wood on the left piece, but it works so much better than the old one. I have a new and more intense respect for people who work outsde in this heat and humidity. Within five minutes, I couldn't get a grip on the screwdriver and sweat was pouring off my chin.


Tomorrow we have to get more restaurant information and add more to our website. It's getting a very positive response, and if you search Rocky Point Restaurants we're on page one already.

Tonight we're off for a poker game at the Parrot. So in a little down time I thought I'd update the old blog. Did you know it was a blog that inspired the movie Julia and Julia? Yep, true story. I can just see this becoming a movie...who will play Carl, me and Shadow? You vote!

I was just about to start writing this when a knock came at the door and Diana wanted me to drive her somewhere. So off we went, after her family indicated I was taking her to a church over 'that way.'

I've found a way for Rosie to be able to put up the newspaper on her own, without needing me as an intermediary. We're both really happy with it, but remain good friends and of course if she needs any technical help I'll be there.

We're into August already tomorrow! Holy smokes. We'll have to do something to celebrate our one-year anniversary of arrival on August 28. This past few days it's cooled off a bit, 34 instead of 39, and those 5 degrees help a lot. At night it's about 32 in the house after we turn the AC off, but that's comfortable for us. It got down to 29 in here last night and we both decided that was on the verge of being too cool. A month ago that was WAY too hot.

Holy smokes, it's quarter to six! Let me wrap things up.

In two months it will be cool enough for us to have visitor again, so start planning now! In case you've forgotten:













11 comments:

Anonymous said...

He he, cooler obviously being a relative thing. We've hit 22 here so far this summer, and that felt pretty warm.

Your new butcher sounds like a winner, filet is fine by me.

Poker? Friendly game? Or cut throat? What do you think, could I (Mitchel44) have played this different?

Full Tilt Poker Game #13736393779: $150 Railbirds.com Added (98469830), Table 5 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:03:39 ET - 2009/07/31
Seat 1: jjlovepoker (1,485)
Seat 2: Raine1000 (1,530)
Seat 3: garden42 (1,365)
Seat 4: Mitchel44 (1,470)
Seat 5: geowind (1,440)
Seat 6: LoCcO_OhNo (1,635)
Seat 7: Brucewhotex (1,575)
Seat 9: hotwings18 (1,500)
Mitchel44 posts the small blind of 15
geowind posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Mitchel44 [Ah As]
Mitchel44 has been disconnected
LoCcO_OhNo folds
Mitchel44 has reconnected
Brucewhotex calls 30
hotwings18 folds
jjlovepoker calls 30
Raine1000 folds
garden42 folds
Mitchel44 raises to 150
geowind has 15 seconds left to act
geowind folds
Brucewhotex has 15 seconds left to act
Brucewhotex folds
jjlovepoker calls 120
*** FLOP *** [6s 8c 8s]
Mitchel44 bets 300
jjlovepoker calls 300
*** TURN *** [6s 8c 8s] [5d]
Mitchel44 bets 1,020, and is all in
jjlovepoker calls 1,020
Mitchel44 shows [Ah As]
jjlovepoker shows [3s Js]
*** RIVER *** [6s 8c 8s 5d] [Ks]
Mitchel44 shows two pair, Aces and Eights
jjlovepoker shows a flush, King high
jjlovepoker wins the pot (3,000) with a flush, King high
Mitchel44 stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3,000 | Rake 0
Board: [6s 8c 8s 5d Ks]
Seat 1: jjlovepoker showed [3s Js] and won (3,000) with a flush, King high
Seat 2: Raine1000 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: garden42 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: Mitchel44 (small blind) showed [Ah As] and lost with two pair, Aces and Eights
Seat 5: geowind (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 6: LoCcO_OhNo didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: Brucewhotex folded before the Flop
Seat 9: hotwings18 didn't bet (folded)

Cheers,

Dave

Mel150 said...

A very friendly game, just 7-card stud every hand. As I lost $20, I won't try to tell you how to play. However, your brother came away the big winner (no surprise). :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, and I was just whining about the poker (boo hoo), happens all the time, lol.

Your place looks and sounds very inviting, it has in every post.

Not quite "next door" like “Wild Rose Country” was, but trust me, if we're doing anything, I'd love to make seeing you guys the apex of trip.

Mel150 said...

I hope so!! Man, we'd have such a blast with you guys down here!

Cheryl said...

Ahhh - a day in the life...

First of all, according to Tom Robbins (my idol) they aren't cowboys anymore. In this age of political correctness, they are Bovine Custodial Officers. I know, but what it loses in romanticism it more than makes up in pretentiousness don'tcha think?

As you can imagine, I'm not overly thrilled about the butcher info, but it did get a raised eyebrow from Dan, and if we get guests down there I suppose I should serve them something other than lime potato chips. (The house specialty at Casa del Sol)

And I'm glad you replaced that latch on the gate. It was a pain in the butt trying to wiggle & wiggle it to get it to move.

And finally, you've witnessed my poker skills so you know that I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to say on that subject...

Mel150 said...

Ha- The man has a way with words, doesn't he? The gate latch pleases me every single time I go through it, I'm SO happy.

Cheryl, you should check out the restaurant site, a few new menus including a Chinese place that is clean and nice inside, with a huge and interesting menu. (Comida China on the Fremont page)

Alicia said...

OK, I'm thinking Marge Helgenberger for you and Tom Hanks for Carl, but I'm stumped on Shadow. After all, who could play the world's cutest dog except the world's cutest dog?

Mel150 said...

had to look up Marge Helgenberger. OK, that works!! HAHAH. Yes, Shadow would be hard to cast. Often imitated, never duplicated.

Anonymous said...

I was kinda holding out for Jim Carrey to play me. Hanks is way too nice, Carrey's funny and evil.

For Melody, that's easy, Charlize Theron (unless you think she's too old. Second choice Rebecca de Mornay.

Shadow will be the tough one. We may be in the audition room for quite a while before we find that perfect combination of cuteness, tranquility and unpredictable madness, with the ability to take direction of course.

Carl

Anonymous said...

Carl = Burt Lancaster

Mel = Meg Ryan

Shadow takes direction?

Since when, lol.

Anonymous said...

I think I've solved the Shadow casting problem, Danny Bonaduce! Think of it, he's short, some of the right natural colouring and unpredictable as hell. Plus he brings a wealth of experience and that certain Box Office star cachet every tinseltown project craves. Have your people get back to my people.

Carl