Saturday, August 29, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

It was our one year anniversary here yesterday, and he had a beach day, then watched the Stamps game at Latitude 31. However, I was on these muscle relaxants and well... too stoned to watch the game. They make drugs strong here! I have a bone chip floating around by my tailbone which I apparently fractured at some point in my life. So it's anti-nflammatories (I'm not taking any more of that muscle relaxant!), heating pads which are fun in this heat and a donut to sit on.

We're having more birds than ever show up here, including cormorants, swallows, what looked like a loon to me, and of course our ever popular pelicans. Pelicans fly up about ten feet, then pause, fold their wings and crash into the ocean. But only their heads go under, the rest of them stays above water. Looks painful.




The birds we were watching the other day that I thought looked like loons dive straight down and go under, then a few seconds later they pop up like corks.

Here are a few pictures of pretty Sadie, who Shadow plays with most mornings. AJ who hangs out at the sandbar owns her, and she's a great little dog.





Every single morning except Wednesday which is his day off, we gate a cheerful, "Good morning! Shower time!" from the Mexican guy who runs the 4-wheeler rental down by the beach. Shower time!!

When we get back, Shadow walks around to the hammock which is his new scratching post. You can hear him growling and sneezing and generally sounding like he's having a great time, but if you peek around the corner, he stops and looks at you like, "What? I'm not doing anything!"

We are still disappointed in the fish here, I guess there's not much you can do when you're eating fish from warm water. But we did a shrimp-and-mushroom stuffed flounder the other night that was quite good. What was even better was that I had stuffing left over, and bought a bunch of poblano peppers, roasted and peeled them, stuffed them with the mixture and served it with a fresh tomato-garlic sauce. YUM!!

Our friend Rose had to go back to Canada, and she took her dog as a carry-on. In her words: 10 min into take off she chewed her way out of her bag and spent a very satsifying nap time on the seat beside me. Airline people everywhere (yikes, customs!) were disgruntled, but what could they do? Take me back?

Independence Day is coming up soon, and there are flags everywhere. Time to put ours back on the car. We'll have to try to get down for the festivities this year, speeches and such. As I recall, it was very early morning.

The pool I've been going to every morning is great, but lately it's been very very waspy. I get in and clean out maybe 20 wasps before I can swim, and on Friday there were at least 30 live ones swimming around. That's about 25 too many for old Mel. There's another pool at the Playa Inn- Cheryl, you know where that is, right? I checked it out today, and it's wasp-free! So that's the pool for me.

My Spanish lessons were canceled last week, and I have to study up in the hopes that we start up again this week. My teacher texted me about the last cancellation, and I don't think she understood me when I said it was a landline, not a cellphone. I'll have to call her tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your back problems. Congrats for handling a summer in Mexico, you're a better woman than I. We used to go swimming with the pelicans, there were small fish in the shallow water and they would dive in and catch them by our feet. Glad they didn't miss the fish and catch a toe but an interesting experience. Hardly seems a year but maybe we will see you next year, one of us may travel one way or another.
Love Shirl

Mel150 said...

Thanks, Shirl! Back's feeling better now, but having to warm it with a heating pad just doesn't make any more sense than icing an injury did when it was 20 below in Calgary.

The morning swim is definitely a highlight, we'll have to see how long we can keep it up now that our blood is thinner. We might chicken out in October!

Anonymous said...

looks like you have a friend coming to visit

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_ep3+shtml/085614.shtml?tswind120#contents

We've had a couple come through so far, Danny actually packed some stronger winds than Bill locally.

Cheers

Dave

Mel150 said...

Thanks for the great link, Dave! It's not going to hit us with any force at all, we're outside of the dark green area even.

Anonymous said...

Yeah thanks for the update. I've been tracking Jimena for a few days now.

Looks like it's going to bite the Baja pretty good then head back to the Pacific.

We've had a little wind and cloud so far and a bit of choppy water today but so far we should be fine, rained pretty steady for about 20 minutes last night (that's quite a bit for here).

Look at the nearest little cove to the AZ border on the mainland side, that's our little lee we hope.

Carlo