Sunday, September 13, 2009

Silliness and food

Tonight we're having stuffed poblanos, a kind of chile relleno but without the batter and deep frying. Roast the poblanos:


We chop up these beautiful cameron, cook them, mix them with cheese, mushroom, onion, a little cilantro and stuff the peppers. Bake or BBQ at 350 until heated through. Serve with a fresh tomato sauce. YUM!


Similar to one I blogged about a while ago, it was just that good that I had to do it again. We do keep trying with the fish here, our butcher turned us onto another pescaderia (fish shop). But what can you do when you go in with some translations of fish you know, and the shop has a list like this:
Cazon- shark or dogfish maybe?
Cochito
Corbina
Callo Escarlopa- scallops of some kind?
Caracol- Snail, this I do know.
Hanta-
Curbina-
Collito de Arbol- hmm... something tree.

I have a couple of feelers out, I'll let you know if I find out what any of this is.

A friend went to Phoenix and brought us back Canadian food!!


Another friend gave me these flash cards, which I'll be dipping into this afternoon.


Class is fun, although pretty concentrated. Twenty minutes with the book Cheryl gave us, Spanish for Gringos. What's good is she tells me when one phrase is more common than the other, or another phrase that is used more here in town. Then 20 minutes of going through the photo album of our trip, and I tell her about all the places. Which is making me do some research, because I don't necessarily remember it all! Then 20 minutes of Clan of the Cave Bear. No verb conjugation, just those three things for now.I study about three-four hours a week.

Shadow thinks he's in the shade because he's under the hammock. It's 35 degrees and he's happy in the direct sun.



I found out last weekend that at the border (remember I said there are different people at the Mexican border now?) almost everyone is getting searched, but they still seem to be letting food through, they're just searching for guns or drugs. Then, on the long weekend, they had a stop where everyone had to sanitize their hands. So the tourists wouldn't bring the swine flu in! I loved that story, there was a 40 minute wait to have your hands sanitized so you could come in.

Our FM3 visas are ready, but the poor guy who signs them was in an accident, so we won't get them until he gets out of the hospital.



Independence Day is Wednesday! And shrimp season starts in only a few days. Carl met a guy who knows all about what's in season when. He works at Capone's, so we're going to corner him one day with a calendar.

We have some more of those small calamari in the freezer- you have to gird your loins to clean them, but they are SO good.

Last weekend we went down to the Malecon, and we met Tanya's mom! First we spied on her from Mary's where I had two shrimp tacos and Carl had two scallop tacos (sorry, Cheryl). Then we went over and talked with Tanya's mom while she finished her shift.





Stand selling flags for Independence Day


Clown at Mary's


Parasail and Sailboat


This is the electrical guy! I wrote about this in an earlier blog. Why do I feel like I posted this already? I don't see it in earlier blogs, but I have a mighty deja vu. Anyway, you hold the little pipes and he turns the dial till you say stop. Then you give him 20 pesos. Nice face, Carl!!

Jetski

The Malecon from Tanya's new bar

The boat that pulls the banana boat


Banana Boat

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing what is the shot of electricity supposed to do for you, leave your face wierd? make you live longer?, increase your energy or what???????? Or shouldn't a mother ask!!!!!!!!!!Shirl

Anonymous said...

It's having fun.

Carl

Mel150 said...

I don't know for sure, but I would say increase your energy is a good guess. Or as Carl says, to have fun and see how high it will go!

Anonymous said...

I think tiburón is shark, used to be a car named that, lol.

The shrimp-stuffed peppers sounds nice, on a bed of "dirty" rice with a nice chilled white wine, watching the sun go down, ahhhhh!

Dave